There’s nothing quite as stunning as running through a crowd of your friends holding sparklers on your wedding day. In fact, this special moment has become an expected part of almost every wedding celebration in today’s world.
But especially if you have little ones (or, let’s be real, are planning on serving alcohol) at your wedding? We know that you’re curious about sparkler safety. Don’t worry — we’re here to help!
From teaching you how to light sparklers to offering up some invaluable safety dress, this post will tell you everything you need to know to stay worry-free and stress-free on your big day!
How to Light a Sparkler
First thing’s first: let’s teach you exactly how to safely light a sparkler! We know that you’ll likely have lots of guests surrounding you on your big day. So, you want to do things quickly and efficiently, without sacrificing safety.
First of all, invest in a longer barbecue lighter. To master how to use a lighter safely, look for one that puts as much distance as possible between your hand and the flame. Under no circumstances should you use matches — though this is less for safety reasons, and more because they rarely actually get hot enough to successfully light a sparkler.
We suggest that you line up your guests in two separate rows. This is great for creating a bridge that you and your new husband or wife can run through on your way to the reception or even your honeymoon!
Give each guest only one sparkler. If someone (read: someone’s child) starts asking for more than one, just smile and say you only have enough for each person to get one.
You can pick out three or for friends to be your designated sparkler lighters. They can disperse themselves throughout the two rows, starting at the top. Then, instruct each guest to light the sparkler of the person standing next to them by touching the tip of their sparker to another’s. We suggest that you allow parents of small children to light their sparklers for them.
General Sparker Safety
There are a few other things that you should take into consideration when it comes to having sparklers on your wedding day.
Especially if you’ve noticed that your guests are getting a little, um, rowdy?
Make your designated sparkler lighters walk down the line and gently remind your hardest-partying guests not to swing or play around with their sparklers. You shouldn’t have to worry about reprimanding your best friends on your wedding day, after all!
Also, instruct everyone (again, especially young children like your flower girl and ring bearer) that they can only use their sparklers when they are standing up. If you sit down, it can be easy to accidentally get burned.
We suggest that younger children aim to hold sparklers about a complete arm’s length away from their bodies. This will help them to stay safe and have fun in the process.
Finally, keep in mind that, while sparklers won’t usually cause any lasting burn damage on your skin, they can leave permanent marks — or holes — in your clothes!
So, for best results, refrain from getting your sparkler too close to clothing of any kind (especially your wedding dress!)
Safely Cleaning up after Sparklers
You’ve already paid what feels like a small fortune for your wedding venue.
You don’t want to have to pay even more because you didn’t properly pick up after yourself!
First of all, remember that, depending on the length of the sparklers that you get, they can burn anywhere from 45 seconds to over three minutes!
So, depending on how long of a walk you want to take (or how many guests you have) make sure that you buy sparklers that match your needs.
What should you do to ensure that sparkler safety continues after they’ve all burned out?
As you’ve probably already guessed, it’s once again the time to depend on your handy sparkler-designated lighters and monitors to come to your rescue.
Before anything happens, make sure that they’ve arranged to have a few metal buckets of cold water somewhere around where you’ll be taking your walk.
Then, once you’re certain that all the sparklers have burned out, have them collect each of the sparklers from the guests. Make sure that they only grab the sparklers by the wired ends. Anything else may be too hot!
Then, have them place the used sparklers in the bucket of water. In truth, this isn’t really necessary, but it will make everyone feel much safer. Once they’ve sat in the bucket of water for a few minutes, it’s safe to toss them in the trash can. Looking back at your photos from running through the line of sparklers will, no doubt, be one of the most special parts of your entire experience!
Use These Sparkler Safety Tips on Your Big Day
We hope that this post has helped to remind you of the importance of sparkler safety on your wedding day.
Just make sure that you choose only your most responsible friends to help you with this part of the celebrations. Of course, you also need to choose only the best sparklers. That’s where our amazing products come in.
Be sure to spend some time on our website and blog to learn more about how our beautiful sparklers can help to make all of your wedding day dreams come true.
Q: What are some sparkler safety tips?
A: Some sparkler safety tips include wearing closed-toe shoes, keeping a bucket of water nearby, not holding sparklers near your face or clothing, and not allowing children to handle sparklers without adult supervision.
Q: Can sparklers cause fires?
A: Yes, sparklers can cause fires if not used properly. It’s important to use sparklers in an open area away from flammable materials like dry grass, leaves, or paper.
Q: Can sparklers cause burns?
A: Yes, sparklers can cause burns if not handled properly. It’s important to hold sparklers away from your body and clothing, and not to touch the hot end of the sparkler.
Q: What should I do if a sparkler doesn’t light or goes out?
A: If a sparkler doesn’t light, wait at least 30 seconds before trying again. If a sparkler goes out, do not try to relight it. Instead, place it in the bucket of water.
Q: How should I dispose of used sparklers?
A: After using sparklers, place them in the bucket of water to ensure they are fully extinguished. Once cooled, dispose of them in a metal container.