Summer is here and you know what that means – BBQ, swimming, road trips, and enjoying those late summer nights.
What makes a summer night special? Fireworks! Americans buy an incredible 247,550,000 pounds of them every year.
One of the most popular types of fireworks is sparklers. They’re easy to use, pretty, and don’t require a big backyard. Sparklers are gorgeous on the Fourth of July but they can be a great addition to any get-together all year round.
Let’s look at seven fun ways to turn the simple sparkler into a staple of every celebration!
1. Sparkler Send-Off For Weddings
There are many ways to see the bride and groom off after their special day.
Tradition calls for the guests to throw rice. More modern takes have guests throwing rose petals or blowing bubbles.
Nothing beats a sparkler send-off though. Picture it – the lights are out, the guests all light their sparklers. The bride and groom then walk under a canopy of golden sparks.
Seems easy enough but there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, make sure you buy sparklers that will last long enough. A 36-inch sparkler lasts for four minutes, 20 inch lasts two minutes, and 10 inch lasts for four seconds.
Second, be safe. Don’t hold the sparkler directly over the couple. Leave a little space between the row and the couple so that sparklers don’t singe anyone.
2. Better Than Birthday Candles
How many years have you topped your birthday cakes with mere candles? At this point, it’s kind of boring.
Dress up any birthday cake with a sparkler instead! Think about how dazzling the cake will look when it comes out, topped with gorgeous sparklers.
You can’t blow sparklers out like you can candles, but that’s OK. The birthday girl or boy will have more time to make wishes while the sparklers burn out.
Bonus idea: some places sell sparklers in the shape of numbers. Look for those for an easy way to upgrade your cake.
3. Shapes With Sparklers
Looking for a photo that’s going to rack up tons of likes on Instagram? Grab a bunch of sparklers and head out to the lawn.
Here’s a step by step way to make an amazing image out of sparklers.
- Think of an easy shape, like a star, heart, or lightning bolt.
- Stick sparklers into the ground into said shape.
- Light them all up at once and take a photo.
This awesome idea works best at night, of course. And if you want to sit inside of the shape, be safe about it. Make sure you have enough space between yourself and the sparklers and never step over the sparklers themselves to get in or out of the shape.
4. Educational Tools
Believe it or not, there are some great games to turn a night with sparklers into an educational tool. You’ll want to have some sparklers for kids handy for these great learning games.
Here’s how you can make playing with sparklers a fun and educational experience:
- Trace the alphabet with the sparklers
- Practice drawing numbers in the air
- Light a sparkler and count as high as you can before it burns out
- Recite as many state names and/or capitals as you can before it burns out
- Practice making clock hands
- One person writes something with the sparkler and the other person guesses what it is
As you can see, there are lots of educational games you can play with sparklers for kids.
5. Sparkler Shower
Looking for a craft project that’s a little more advanced? We’ve got you covered.
This easy-to-make craft takes just a few minutes and needs only a few extra supplies. You’ll get tons of bang for your buck though!
All you’ll need is a pack of sparklers and a roll of tape. Here’s what to do next:
- Grab a bunch of sparklers, usually eight but you can go higher
- Group them together leaving one sticking out
- Tape all of them together tightly
- Bend the wires at the bottom to create a stand for the sparklers to stay upright
Make sure you’ve got plenty of space when you go to light it up. Your sparkler shower can potentially shoot a bunch of sparks four feet tall or higher.
Enjoy this spectacular way to light up the night!
6. Write With Sparklers
Have you ever seen those cool images where someone writes a word with sparklers? Here’s how to do it:
- Gather several friends – one per letter is best
- Have them write the letter backward so that the camera picks it up the correct way
- Manually adjust the shutter speed on your DSLR camera to three seconds
- Start the letter on the count of one and end it by the count of three
Putting your camera on a tripod makes a big difference here. As you can see, this is a group effort, so it’s perfect for parties!
7. Stay Safe
The most important thing to do with sparklers is to stay safe. While sparklers are fun, if not used correctly, they can be dangerous. They’re the most common cause of injuries because they’re commonly underestimated.
Here’s how you can have fun with sparklers in a responsible, and safe way:
- Keep a bucket of sand or water nearby to dump your sparkler in case it gets too hot.
- Use a plastic cup as a sparkler shield. Just poke a hole through the bottom and stick the sparkler through.
- Always use sparklers and any other fireworks in an open area, never indoors
- Supervise any children using sparklers and never give one to a child under five years of age
Get Ready For Fun With Sparklers!
Now that you know all of the fun ways to use sparklers for holidays or on any other day, what are you waiting for? Grab a handful, get some friends together, and go outside to have fun!
If you’re looking for the very best sparklers, we’ve got you covered. Whether it’s for your wedding, a holiday like Diwali, or for fun around the house, we’ll take care of you.
Shop with us today and find the perfect way to add sparkle and light to your life!